Sentry Page Protection
Ethical Scenario 10
A patient attends with a dental complaint and demands antibiotics. On examination, you find antibiotics are not indicated in this case. How would you manage the patient?
Excellent Candidate response
- Explain your clinical and radiographic findings to the patient
- Explain all treatment options and how to get them out of pain including any appropriate analgesics indicated
- If antibiotics are not indicated, explain why to the patient and the harms of unnecessary prescription of them
- If the patient persists however & antibiotics are not indicated and there is no infection or swelling or raised temperature etc, then request them to seek a second opinion if necessary.
- Ensure you record all your notes accurately.
- Do not prescribe something without any clinical indication but this must be recorded in your notes. This is for the patient’s best interest and safety.