Sentry Page Protection
Ethical Scenario 11
A patient attends your practice for an extraction of an impacted lower 8 that’s close to the inferior dental (ID) nerve. On examination and radiographs, you find that a referral is best suited however the patient demands treatment in the dental practice. How would you manage this case?
Excellent Candidate response
- Explain your findings to the patient, both clinical and radiographic.
- Explain all treatment options to the patient alongside their risks and benefits
- Explain that this case is complex and outside your remit and it is in the best interest of the patient and their safety that they be referred
- Prescribe any necessary analgesics or antibiotics if indicated to ensure the patient is not in undue pain and the symptoms are adequately controlled
- Follow up the referral and keep the patient informed