Sentry Page Protection
Ethical Scenario 16
A child aged 13 attends alone requesting a routine examination and scale and polish. How would you deal with the situation?
Excellent Candidate response
- This is a scenario concerning Gillick’s competence.
- The patient should be requested to attend with an older guardian (over 18)
- Questions to pose are whether the child is competent enough to make an informed decision
- The best outcome is if the child attends with a guardian and has discussed the case with them prior to undergoing treatment
- understand the nature of the proposed treatment, its consequences and the alternatives, including no treatment
- retain that information
- use or weigh up that information in making a decision
- communicate that decision.