Sentry Page Protection
Ethical Scenario 17
A child attends with trauma to the front tooth. They attend with their father who reports that the child fell down in school. You notice on the routine exam that the child also has other bruises in uncommon areas.
Excellent Candidate response
- This is likely a safeguarding issue
- If you feel concerned, the safeguarding lead must be informed
- You must make accurate and full, comprehensive notes of everything that you noted on the exam.
- Do not discuss further with the parents or probe them if you feel this will put the patient/child in further danger
- The safeguarding lead will explore further and inform social services if deemed necessary.
- If after reviewing the child, you feel that the child is at imminent risk of further harm, it would be recommended to speak with the safeguarding lead immediately regarding whether external authority (eg. police) involvement immediately is required to safeguard the child