Sentry Page Protection
Ethical Scenario 25
A child attends your practice with their guardian and seems overly anxious and withdrawn. You notice during the examination that they have burn marks on their forearm. How would you manage the situation?
Excellent Candidate response
- A clinician has the duty to raise concerns if a patient is at risk (GDC standard 8)
- The dentist should make accurate and informative notes without bias.
- The dentist should inform the safeguarding lead who will take the case forward if needed.
- Do not question the guardian if you feel this will put the patient at further risk.
- This is a safeguarding issue and the necessary lead must always be informed.