Sentry Page Protection
Ethical Scenario 4
Your nurse has been working alongside you for 15 years and is very experienced in assisting with procedures. She asks you if she can scale her colleague’s teeth during lunch break. How would you respond?
Excellent Candidate response
- You would explain that scaling is out of her professional remit and skill set and she is not allowed to scale her colleague’s teeth. This is irrespective of the number of years of nursing training that she has
- She does not have the necessary qualifications to perform scaling
- Explore the reasons as to why she wishes to carry out this treatment
- Encourage her to gain the necessary qualifications to do so if this is a long-term ambition of hers.
- Alternatively, offer to carry out the procedure should the relevant person be a patient at the practice
- If you find she does so secretly, you should inform the practice manager to ensure patient safety.