Sentry Page Protection
Ethical Scenario 5
A patient attends your practice and is highly anxious. They demand sedation for the check- up. How would you manage this situation?
Excellent Candidate response
- You would speak to the patient and discuss all possible options before attempting treatment
- It is essential that you gain consent from the patient before doing anything
- If the patient demands sedation, you cannot perform treatment without it unless the patient consents.
- Explain (if you don’t/cannot offer sedation) that if the patient won’t accept treatment without it, you will need to refer him or her to a sedation clinic and if they fulfil their criteria, they will treat them under sedation.
- You should explain the risks and benefits of sedation and all possible options available such that the patient can make an informed decision.