Sentry Page Protection
Ethical Scenario 7
A patient attends your practice demanding a root canal treatment. On examination, you don’t find an indication for this on the radiographs and clinically. How will you manage this scenario?
Excellent Candidate response
- You will explain your clinical and radiographic findings to the patient following the examination
- You will then explain all treatment options available and indicated for this specific case, outlining the advantages and disadvantage of each management approach.
- Do not carry out treatment without the patient’s consent
- If the patient continues to demand a treatment that is not indicated, then you can advise the patient to seek a second opinion if they would like.
- Explain that under NHS care, treatment needs to be indicated for it to be carried out to ensure patient safety and for their best interest.