Sentry Page Protection
Ethical Scenario 9
You are doing a routine examination for a patient and she is attending with her child. The child refuses to leave the room for the radiograph and the parent doesn’t see the harm of her child staying inside. How would you manage this situation?
Excellent Candidate response
- You must explain to the patient and guardian that everyone except the patient must leave during the radiograph to avoid the harms of unnecessary radiation.
- If the child refuses to leave, request the patient if they can attend at another date and leave the child with a carer or another guardian.
- Explain the harms of unnecessary radiation
- Do not irradiate and put others at risk if they refuse to leave the room
- Do other treatment at this visit and reschedule the appointment for a later date when either the child will wait outside with consent of the guardian or can be looked after by someone else during the appointment.
- Dentists have a duty to ensure others are not at risk of unnecessary radiation exposure.