Sentry Page Protection
Role Play Scenario 39
Imagine you are dog-sitting for your friend whilst she is out for the day. You accidently leave the front door open, and the dog runs away. You spend a few hours looking for him, but you can’t find him. When your friend arrives home, she asks where the dog is. What do you say to her?
Average Candidate Approach
- Being dishonest, and taking responsibility for what happened
- Not apologising, as it is though this is an admission of guilt – it’s not!
- Getting defensive when your friend begins to ask how it happened
Excellent Candidate Approach
- Open Questions
- Develop Rapport
- Address the issues known
- Identify any additional issues
- Summary and plan going forward
Key Issues to be addressed:
- Apologising for what happened, and immediately take responsibility-apologising is not an admission of guilt, this just highlights that you are sorry for what has happened.
- Although this was an accident, your friend may be angry and upset. Here, it is important to act with empathy, and try to be understanding of your friend’s feelings.
- Be honest in terms of what happened, this may have happened before, and your friend may know where her dog often runs to.
- Explain that you have tried to look; this highlights that you have tried to help and may mediate your friend’s feelings.