Houston School of Dentistry Interview Questions
General Interview Information
Houston provides the following information on the attributes that it seeks.
Dentists must demonstrate cognitive skills in critical thinking, and logical thinking. You must also possess and be able to demonstrate psychomotor skills, alongside observation skills. You must have the ability to assess all information provided by a patient including non-verbal responses, within safety-related timeframes. Likewise, students must be able to communicate in oral and written format that is succinct, organized and complete, as well as showing a sensitivity to cultural, emotional and societal issues. You should demonstrate professional behaviour and integrity, as well as compassion, empathy and tolerance. You should be able to exercise good judgement, and develop effective relationships with patients. You should be able to deal with taxing workloads and work under stress.
Past Interview Questions
Motivation and Insight into Dentistry
- Tell us about one of your weaknesses.
- Tell us what you learned from your volunteering experience.
- Tell me about yourself and why you want to go into dentistry.
- How do you deal with stress? Dentistry can be very stressful.
- Tell me about yourself.
- What helped you develop as a person, and what guided you towards the desire to want to become a dentist?
- What do your strengths and weaknesses say about you?
- Why do you want to study at UT Houston?
- What kind of organizations would you like to get involved with at the school?
- How did you prepare for the DAT?
- What will be the biggest obstacle(s) you plan on facing when attending dental school?
- Why did you apply to other schools if you are interested in Houston?
- How did you become interested in dentistry?
- What would you like to be doing after ten years?
- What would make you choose Houston over the other schools that you have applied to?
- What would you change about yourself to be a better dentist?
- What leadership skills do you possess?
- Of all your experiences of helping others, what has been the most rewarding and why?
- What was your favourite undergraduate course?
- What about you is unique that you can bring to our course?
- What class has had the greatest positive effect on your life thus far?
- Tell me about your science GPA, DAT scores, and your undergrad.
- Why do you want to be a dentist?
- What have you done in the last year to improve your application?
- What’s your greatest strength?
- Do you know how much money a dentist makes?
- What do you do when you’re facing a stressful situation? Be specific.
- Why do you want to study dentistry here?
- What will you do if we don’t accept you?
- What will you do if no dental schools accept you?
- Would you be interested in our PhD program?
- Tell us about volunteering roles that you have taken on and their relevance to dentistry.
- What has developed you as a person?
- What is your personal philosophy?
- Do you have any clinical experience?
- What is one of the most challenging courses that you have taken so far?
- What has brought you to the field of dentistry?
- How did your DAT go?
- Tell us about your leadership skills - be specific.
- What was your most interesting research experience?
- How was your experience of the DAT?
- What dental experience have you had?
- Do you do any activities to improve your dexterity or fine motor skills?
- Tell me about a situation where you made an ethical decision.
- Tell us about the importance of ethics and professionalism to dentistry.
- Do you ever experience road rage?
- If I may ask, would you tell me a time when you faced an ethical issue?
- Describe your views on ethics in the fields of medicine and dentistry.
- What would you say to a patient who said you look too young to be a dentist?
- What would you say to a patient who didn't feel he needed to pay the full amount after you provide care to him?
- How would you handle someone being argumentative or combative?
Sales Pitch Stations
- Take these last few minutes of the interview to sell yourself. Why should we pick you over someone else?
US Dental School Interview Questions
Dentistry Interview Questions & Example Answers
100+ Dentistry Interview Questions
Why Dentistry And Not Medicine: 10 Key Reasons
Dental School Interviews Manual Dexterity: The Complete Guide
30 Dentistry Manual Dexterity Interview Tasks
Dentistry Interviews Ethical Scenarios: Tips, Techniques & Examples
How To Prepare For A Dental School Interview
Online Dentistry Interviews - Common Pitfalls & How To Avoid Them
Dentistry MMI Interviews: The Complete Guide