Sentry Page Protection
Role Play Scenario 5
You are working in a retail store and have observed your manager Jonathan remove money from the cash register and place this into his pocket three times in the last week. You have arranged to meet Jonathan during a lunch break to discuss the matter further; Jonathan is not presently aware of your observations or any concerns.
Average Candidate Approach
- Rushing straight into the matter, rather than starting with open questions and developing rapport (open questions and establishing rapport is vital even with long term colleagues).
- Not providing Jonathan with an opportunity to explain what has been observed (If given the opportunity, Jonathan will explain that he has been appointed to complete the store banking and as such is required to regularly remove the cash from the registers).
- A lack of empathy shown through verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Ignoring one of the core issues. It is essential to address the core issue despite Jonathan being a senior employee. Similarly, if a consultant was suspected of misconduct, it is essential that all those in the hospital environment (including medical students) feel comfortable raising their concerns with them.
- Failing to address additional issues. Candidates not asking about any additional concerns will not establish that Jonathan’s wife recently passed away with breast cancer, and following this, he has been struggling to complete his work commitments.
Excellent Candidate Approach
- Open Questions
- Develop Rapport
- Address the issues known
- Identify any additional issues
- Summary and plan going forward