Sentry Page Protection
Role Play Scenario 7
You have arranged to meet Edward to discuss his smoking habit with the purpose of encouraging Edward to stop smoking. Edward has three young children and works as a primary school teacher.
Average Candidate Approach
- Rushing straight into the matter, rather than starting with open questions and developing rapport
- Not providing Edward with adequate opportunity to express his wishes and expectations for the consultation
- A lack of empathy shown through verbal and non-verbal communication, with a judgemental rather than supportive approach.
- Failing to address additional issues and concerns that Edward may have.
Excellent Candidate Approach
- Open Questions
- Develop Rapport
- Address the issues known
- Identify any additional issues
- Summary and plan going forward
- Fluent implementation of the Six Step Approach.
- Excellent candidates will allow Edward the necessary time to come to the realisation himself that he needs to stop smoking and allow him to suggest the best way to approach this, rather than forcing their agenda onto Edward.
- It is important to find a balance between using Edward's employment and family circumstances as motivating factors to change his habits, rather than judging his habits based on these circumstances.
- Identify additional stressors and reasons for Edward's continued smoking as well as suggesting potential solutions to address these.