Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences Medicine Interview Questions
Oklahoma State University conducts on-campus interviews by clinical and biomedical faculty. The interviews are typically of 25 minutes, but they can get up to 45 minutes. Each candidate gets a two-on-one open-file interview, provided by one doctor and one PhD graduate. The interviewers have access to the personal statements and the extracurricular activities, excluding all reference to the GPA and MCAT scores.
The interview aims to assess some technical standards that the applicant needs to demonstrate, such as:
- Moral and behavioral standards
- Respect to diversity
- Communication skills
- Intellectual and integrative abilities
- Knowledge of osteopathic philosophy
Interviews generally take place between September and April.
Past Interview Questions
Motivation and Insight into Medicine
- Describe a time you have shadowed a doctor or came in contact with patients.
- Would you practice medicine in a rural setting?
- Have you read “The Difference a DO Makes”?
- What drove you to study medicine?
- Why did you choose osteopathic medicine as opposed to an MD program?
- What do you know about OMT?
- Why did you choose OSU?
- What 3 characteristics do you think a physician should and should not have?
- What do you think the biggest problem of the healthcare system is, especially in Oklahoma?
- How would you handle a patient who does not follow your medical advice, especially when that leads to health complications?
- If you get accepted in all the osteopathic and allopathic schools you applied for, how will you decide between them?
- How would your X experience contribute to your medical studies?
- Would you be interested in pursuing research during medical school?
- Comparing the healthcare system in the US to other developing countries, how do you find it?
- What is another field you would be interested in if you did not pursue medicine?
- Which aspect of medical school do you have the most anxiety about?
- How would you handle a case of a morbidly obese patient who has knee pain?
- What are your views on the need for a support system while pursuing medicine?
- What volunteering and experience work contributed to your interest in medicine?
- How will you integrate research and clinical medicine in tour practice?
- How did you find about osteopathic medicine?
- Where do you see yourself in 15 years?
- In your personal statement, you mentioned X. Illustrate that more.
- Explain me the trends you have seen in medicine.
- If you get accepted, what will be the biggest change for you?
- How would you change a patient’s mindset whose lifestyle is the cause of the condition for which they seek medical attention?
- As a first-year medical student, how many hours do you expect you will study daily?
- How would you effectively provide health care to the poor rural Oklahoma?
- Do you think it is the physicians’ responsibility to attempt to change legislation that negatively impacts their patients?
- With an unlimited budget, how would you fix the healthcare system?
- How would moving to Tulsa change your lifestyle?
- How will you fund your medical school costs?
- Where do you think you will establish your practice, in a rural community or the city?
- What do you want to specialize in?
- What research projects have you worked on?
- What do you think will be the hardest challenge to you in medical school?
- Was there a turning where you decided to be a doctor or was it a gradual process?
- How would you calm down an irate patient?
- In your opinion, how has medicine changed in the last 50 years?
- What do you think of drug companies spending a big budget on advertising?
- What do you think about hospice?
- How do you think a rural physician will be able to keep up with all the changes in the medicine world?
- How do you feel about pharmaceutical companies giving physicians free merchandize as a marketing tool?
- What do you think about the many cases of teen smokers, and what would you do differently to decrease that number?
- In your opinion, do you think nurse practitioners should be allowed to work without physician supervision?
- How do you think the recent X will affect the current and future education of physicians?
- How will you transition to medical school?
- What would you do if you got two patients for heart transplant but one heart; one of them has a family with no insurance, and the other has no family but insurance?
- What would you do if an uninsured person needed an expensive prescription and asked you to write it in their spouse’s name to use that insurance?
- What would you do if you are a small-town physician prescribing the morning-after pill, but the pharmacist of the town refuses to fill it because of their beliefs?
- Imagine that you, a beloved one of yours, and a child are in a canoe and that the canoe sinks over where you can save only one person, who do you save?
- If a patient could not afford to pay for your services, how would you handle it?
- If you were not prepared for a test and you went to talk to your professor finding a copy of the test on his test while he was not there, what would you do?
- What would you say to a patient who wants a procedure that you are ethically and morally against?
- What would you do if you were required by law to administer the lethal injection to a death-row inmate but you did not believe in the death penalty?
- How would you reconcile your actions if you made a mistake that negatively affected a patient?
- Tell me about 5 drugs and their functions.
- What is the difference between osteopathic and allopathic medicine?
- What do you think of acupuncture?
- What is a piece of news or social issues you have recently encountered?
- How would you tell a patient that they are going to die in 6 months?
- How would you communicate with a poor, rural town about general health and hygiene education?
- How do you think you will interact on a personal level with diverse patients who differ from you in background, lifestyle, and values?
- How would you communicate with your manager if they made a mistake?
- Describe me Dr. X who wrote you the recommendation letter.
- How would you explain evolution to an extreme creationist?
- OSU is a teaching school where it is expected that aspiring doctors contribute to its learning environment. Would you tech me something non-medically?
- How do you usually manage stress and stay balanced?
- What will you do if there is a conflict between a class time and a familial occasion?
- Rank these values a physician should have in terms of their importance: Availability, Affability, and Ability.
- While practicing medicine, which is more important: compassion or science?
- What is the most influential leadership role you had and what did you learn from it?
- What do you think a good leader should look like?
- When working in teams, what is the role that you usually like to take?
- How would you manage working in a group with someone you don’t agree with?
Role Play Scenarios
- Imagine I am your patient, and act out to convince me to be healthier.
- If you were to be a medical professor, how would you teach your students about dealing with disabled patients?
MMI Sales Pitch Station
- In 30 seconds, convince me why we should choose you.
- In one word, how would you describe yourself?
- What will you contribute to the school?
- What makes you different than the other candidates who have the same GPA and MCAT scores as you do?
General / Personal Statements
- Tell me about yourself
- What is your definition of success?
- Who would you select for Time’s Person of the Year?
- Over the past four years, what is the most accomplished you are proud of?
- What was your favorite class in your undergrad and why?
- What did you learn from X in your application?
- What makes you get angry?
- Tell me about a movie you have watched recently.
- What do you do in your free time?
- What are your hobbies?
- What are your strength and weakness points?
- What is the biggest challenge you have had to work through?
- If you were a vegetable/ fruit, what would you be?
- What is your style of learning?
- Why did you attend X University for undergrad?
- What did you choose to major in X?
- How would your friends describe you?
- What is the origin of your name?