University of Illinois at Chicago Dentistry Interview Questions
General Interview Information
All applicants must sit the DAT. There is no current minimum DAT score to apply. There is likewise no minimum GPA. However, the university warns that it is a competitive environment and high scores are expected. You must submit three letters of recommendation, or one committee letter of recommendation. You must then show a passion for the field, through at least 100 hours of shadowing. You should likewise show a range of community service and volunteering work, which need not be dentistry related. You should also show some experience of, and interest in, research.
Past Interview Questions
Motivation and Insight into Dentistry
- Why did you choose dentistry?
- If you don't ever get into a dental school, what will you do?
- If you find yourself having trouble with a course here in your first year, what would you do?
- What qualities should a dentist have?
- Being a dentist is a big responsibility, different than that of working as an assistant. How do you feel about that, and do you think you can handle it? Does it scare you?
- What do you know about our curriculum?
- If you are not from the US, how is dentistry different here to your own country?
- Why have you chosen to apply to UIC?
- What is your definition of dental profession?
- Where will you be in ten years?
- What makes a good dentist?
- Tell us about your volunteering experiences.
- Tell us about your leadership experiences, make it relevant to dentistry.
- What were your DAT scores?
- Have you performed any research?
- What does success mean to you?
- What would you do after completing this program?
- What was your position when performing research?
- What volunteering experiences have you got and how did you secure them?
- I have chosen to interview you blind, meaning I haven’t seen your application. Why you and why dentistry?
- Imagine there are no more cavities in the world. Do you still want to be a dentist?
- Why not medicine?
- How did you first become interested in dentistry?
- What do you know about our program?
- What has been your most meaningful volunteering experience?
- What is your impression of healthcare in our society?
- What steps have you taken to acquaint yourself with what a dentist does?
- What makes you different?
- What do you think of the change in curriculum that the dental school is implementing (moving from lectures to small group learning)?
- Tell me about your clinical experience.
- What will you do at dental school if you can’t handle a certain class?
- What challenges will you face as a dentist?
- Tell me about your leadership roles and positions.
- List some things that would make you happy as a dentist.
- List some things that you would find stressful or challenging as a dentist.
- What originally stimulated your interest in dental medicine?
- What would you do if you are struggling in a class? What would you do if you saw another student cheating?
- Does the thought of dental school scare you?
- Tell us about your experiences that relate to dentistry.
- You seem very interested in research. Are you interested in clinical research?
- Critique this typodont.
- What qualities do you have that would make you a good dentist?
- What would you do if dental disease was eliminated?
- Identify the errors in this clinical model showing a crown preparation.
- Are you involved in research currently?
- Outside of healthcare, what aspects do you see as important to a dental practice?
- Assemble these antique dental instruments according to their numbering.
- What manual dexterity skills do you have?
- If you were in a dental practice that was billing for procedures that were not actually
- performed, what would you do about it and why?
- What was an ethical situation that you were put in previously, and what happened?
- What would you do if you find someone in your class cheated in a midterm or exam?
- If there were no need for dentists, what would you be doing?
- Tell us about your shadowing experiences.
- What have you learned from your shadowing experiences?
- Would you prefer to provide an adequate service to a large population or an excellent service to a small population?
- If someone cheated, would you report that individual?
- One of your group members doesn’t want to help with a project, which is due soon. What do you do?
- Read this passage from Sturdevant aloud, and then explain it to us.
US Dental School Interview Questions
Dentistry Interview Questions & Example Answers
100+ Dentistry Interview Questions
Why Dentistry And Not Medicine: 10 Key Reasons
Dental School Interviews Manual Dexterity: The Complete Guide
30 Dentistry Manual Dexterity Interview Tasks
Dentistry Interviews Ethical Scenarios: Tips, Techniques & Examples
How To Prepare For A Dental School Interview
Online Dentistry Interviews - Common Pitfalls & How To Avoid Them
Dentistry MMI Interviews: The Complete Guide