Virginia Commonwealth Dentistry Interview Questions
General Interview Information
Virginia explains that its holistic application process evaluates all candidates by uniform criteria, without reference to age or any other such criteria. Candidates must possess strong academic performance at college and university level, and an acceptable DAT. They must show evidence of psychomotor skills to perform the necessary dexterity tasks that dentistry demands, a commitment to serve and help others (evidenced by participating in service activities that involve interaction with others) and additionally should possess the potential of being a lifelong learner who exhibits intellectual curiosity.
Past Interview Questions
Motivation and Insight into Dentistry
- Will you be able to handle the stress of dental school since failure is such a big part of learning dentistry?
- Tell me about a book you have read.
- Explain this part of your essay.
- What do you like about volunteering/dental assisting?
- What is a challenge in dentistry, what is something you don’t like about dentistry?
- Tell me about your research experience.
- Have you done any research?
- Tell us about your contribution to the research you participated in.
- What has been your greatest challenge?
- Why dentistry and not medicine?
- Once you graduate, describe to us what you will be looking to do.
- Who are you and what got you here?
- Where would you like to practice (what area / specialty) and what problems do you see happening in this area in the future?
- What would you want me to tell the Committee about you?
- Do you think you can handle the rigors of dental school? How/why?
- What made you choose VCU?
- If you were to specialize, which specialty would you choose and why?
- Give me three weaknesses.
- Do you want to continue researching?
- What did you observe while shadowing?
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
- What is your shadowing experience?
- Why did you choose to dental assist during your year off instead of attending graduate school?
- What do you want to get out of four years of dental school?
- What led you to choose dentistry?
- Since you graduated, what have you done to remain involved in the community?
- Name one of your strengths.
- Why do you feel dentistry is a good choice of profession for you?
- What draws you to dentistry?
- What have you done to explore the career?
- What other schools have you applied to?
- What is your favorite procedure that you have watched/assisted? Why? Explain it in detail.
- What is your greatest strength?
- Tell me about yourself.
- What are some of the positive and negative things you experienced through dental shadowing?
- What do you not want in a dental school?
- Why dentistry?
- Why VCU? Would you choose it over your in-state school?
- Is public health important to you?
- Tell me about your activities pertaining to manual dexterity.
- Did you bring anything to show us your manual dexterity?
- How will you maintain ethical dentistry with all the debt incurred?
- Tell me about your leadership experience.
- We have a large and very diverse patient population. What experience do you have working with people of different viewpoints and backgrounds than yours?
US Dental School Interview Questions
Dentistry Interview Questions & Example Answers
100+ Dentistry Interview Questions
Why Dentistry And Not Medicine: 10 Key Reasons
Dental School Interviews Manual Dexterity: The Complete Guide
30 Dentistry Manual Dexterity Interview Tasks
Dentistry Interviews Ethical Scenarios: Tips, Techniques & Examples
How To Prepare For A Dental School Interview
Online Dentistry Interviews - Common Pitfalls & How To Avoid Them
Dentistry MMI Interviews: The Complete Guide